Monday, November 23, 2015

The Girl Gets a New Skirt!

I decided to restore the Aristocrat one side at a time. Somehow this seemed less daunting and more like I might have a chance of getting her all back together again. It turned out to be a good idea because I don't have a covered space to work on her, so my goal was to get one side restored and re-skinned (and tarped) before the next rainy season (if California has one again). Also, never hurts to think of the project in "baby steps" rather than get overwhelmed by the Big Picture.

In my previous post I described removing the skin and staples, and provided some hints for completing that process. Basically, these vintage trailers were put together like a puzzle. To take her apart, I had to remove the J rail that wraps around the perimeter of the side (a power drill with a 1/4" hex head was a must), then work from the bottom up removing staples and sliding each panel out once freed up. My 13' Aristocrat Lo Liner has a super cool looking, textured aluminum fin at the bottom. I knew to expect lots of rot under this piece as part of the underside of this piece is exposed to the elements and was either totally gone or disintegrating in my hand.

Here was my first look at her partially "naked"
As I worked my way up removing the aluminum skin panels, more restoration needs became evident


I used the bottom aluminum fin as a template to make a new "skirt". I was warned not to use chemically treated lumber as the chemicals can interact with the aluminum skin in a bad way and cause corrosion. This presents a dilemma however as you want to keep these babies from rotting again anytime soon. I ended up using heat treated, kiln dried pine. I also painted on a product from The Rot Doctor (http://www.rotdoctor.com/)  that is a clear penetrating epoxy on my newly cut piece. Warning: this product is Super Smelly (read Toxic)...wear a respirator mask and gloves and use it outside. The smell however totally dissipates once "cured". The customer service line for The Rot Doctor is really helpful so call them for any questions.

I cut the wood along the template lines with a jigsaw. And Voila! a new skirt!
I then screwed the piece in with 2 1/2" GRK screws. I also used the Kreg Jig to fasten the skirt to the new framing 1x2 above it. The Kreg Jig (https://www.kregtool.com/) is a must have for restoring a vintage trailer as it allows one to quickly and easily join framing pieces together. I was lucky because Santa gave me one for Christmas, but just in case you land on the "naughty list",  they are readily available from any of your big box stores (Home Depot, etc.) and even Amazon.
Next up, reframing corners and any other rotten members. Also, looking to find help with (contract out) the electrical system as this DIYer knows enough to know what I don't know. A great deal of the electrical is exposed on this driver side.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kit! I'm working on my 68 Shasta just on the other side of the bay. Totally curious how things are going now that the rains have stopped again. Did you get this side done?? Find help on the electrical? Learn anything more to share? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! Thanks for the reminder to update the blog...life gets in the way sometimes though I haven't lost sight of the dream. She has just been tarped in my driveway for the winter. I did get the side done before El Nino was to hit towards the end of October. I also found help with the electrical...actually a guy who primarily wires cars and trucks for sound. He at least wired the 12 volt and 110 that was exposed while I had that side open. I will have him back this spring to finish the remainder. Check out my next blog entry for photos and the update. Hope all is going well with your Shasta! And Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete